Friday, April 30, 2021

Part of Our Problems are Fixed!

 Posted from Red Bay, AL


For those of you who read our last blog post you'll recall that we had two major systems problems going on.  The first one with the generator will be addressed in a future visit back to the area.

The second problem was with our HWH hydraulic system.  We had no ability to lower our jacks, nor to engage the two passenger side slides (hydraulic ones).

After some troubleshooting on my part I was convinced that the trouble was with the pump motor.  Here is a picture of what our pump/motor assembly looks like on our rig. 


The motor is the round object at the lower portion of the picture.

We arrived in Red Bay and started checking around for technicians who specialize in this system. We've relied on Daniel Humphries over at MSRV Solutions for several repairs and upgrades in the past, so I contacted him first. He recommended a gentleman by the name of Brent Bullard. He was considered by Daniel to know as much as anyone about the hydraulic systems and their installation on our rigs.

I contacted Mr. Bullard via telephone as we are still at the COE Park near Montgomery, AL. He does "after hours" work while still being employed at Tiffin Motorhomes during the day.  Keep in mind that it is Monday, April 26 when I made the call. He stated that he wouldn't be able to take a look at our rig until Wednesday.   Only 2 days.  We were thrilled!!!!!

Our reserved stay at the current COE Park was due to end on Tuesday, so we made a beeline to Red Bay (only 4 hours away).  We arrived on Tuesday afternoon and I contacted Mr. Bullard to let him know at which campground we were staying.  To my surprise, he came by our rig late on Tuesday evening to make an assessment of the problem. (All of this after going to the dentist.)

He, too, believed that the pump motor had failed.  Unfortunately, our particular motor is no longer used. The original diameter of our current motor is 3.7 inches.  The replacement motor is 4.5 inches. I certainly would never have thought that the replacement would fit.  He assured me that not only would it fit, but the new motor was more powerful as well. 


New motor on left.  Both longer and larger diameter

Mr. Bullard returned on Wednesday afternoon with new motor in hand. After about 45 minutes (from start to finish), the new motor was in place.  I will have to say that our jacks and slideouts have never worked as quickly. The motor is much quieter as well.


New motor

For those of you interested in details:

Old motor:  HWH Part #RAP91249
New motor:  HWH Part #RAP14608
Price of new motor at the Tiffin store was $325.64 + tax

Is this a DIY job?  After watching Mr. Bullard install the new motor, I would definitely attempt this. I gladly paid for his familiarity with the system and his quick response to our situation, however.


Everything is working as it should again concerning this "problem".  I'll follow up in the coming weeks with the problem concerning our generator.


New motor in place


Thanks for stopping by to take a look!







2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get fixed so quickly. Good to learn new names of people to call on for help, too. Don't think Daniel is back to work yet.... love following your adventures. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a text with Daniel. He is also dealing with family things at this time.

      Delete