Thursday, June 22, 2017

Westward Ho! Again

Posted from Triadelphia, WV

Our reason for trekking from Utah to Virginia was to visit with my Mom after her surgery. The surgery went well and she was sent to a re-hab facility in Aldie, VA. We've made the trek daily to witness her physical and occupational therapy sessions. The facility she is in is very clean and the staff very caring (unlike the first facility she went to after her initial hospital stay.)  She has progressed well and is due to "graduate" this Friday and return home.

We wanted to be able to assist her more with some home issues, but did not, and I'll leave it at that as far as this public blog is concerned.

We left Bull Run Regional Park in Centreville, VA this morning and we are beginning our trek back to the West. Our first true destination is South Dakota as both Karen and I have driver's licenses which will need to be renewed between now and next April.  Thought that we would be able to handle all of this online, but didn't realize that you still need to have physically visited SD during the previous 12 months of renewing your DL.  We'll each get a receipt from a campground while we're in the state, but will have to renew at a later date because renewal is only permitted within 6 months of your birthdates.

An average drive of 319 miles for us today.  We are overnighting in the Cabela's lot in Triadelphia, WV.  It wasn't free, however, as I needed a new pair of shorts.

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Change of Summer Plans

Posted from Casa Grande, AZ

Well, our summer plans have come to a screeching halt.

Without going in to details, my Mom has taken a couple of falls and is in a trauma center in Northern Virginia. She is waiting for things to stabilize before she can undergo surgery to relieve pressure on her brain.

We departed Hurricane, UT yesterday and drove back to Casa Grande, AZ with the initial intention of flying out of Phoenix, AZ to Dulles Airport in Virginia to be with her and my brother.  Now that we've thought more about it, we've decided to drive the motorhome back to Virginia and see if we can find a local campground to stay at for a longer period of time. (I'm from that area and campgrounds in this area are limited).

Our decision was based upon several factors.  The cost of booking a "near date" flight are very expensive.  We would still need to rent a car when we arrived, but most importantly, we have no idea how long we will be needed. This makes booking flights even tougher.

By taking the motorhome (our home) and pulling the toad, all of these decisions are eliminated. Obviously, it will not be as quick as a flight, but we'll be able to stay for a longer period of time.

Being fulltimers actually makes the logistics of this trip a lot easier.

We're asking everyone to say a short prayer for my Mom's recovery.